Wednesday, March 14, 2018

The Lovecraftian Thing a Day (2018) No.73: ‘That Which Dwells Below’


Last night, weighted down by the Silver Key, I found myself sinking into the black, oneiric depths of a vast and restless ocean.

Soon after a webbed and scaly hand took mine, dragging me further downwards into that watery blackness, until at last it was was illumined by a sickly green light: a spectral glow extruded by colossal structures resting on the ocean floor - great edifices comprised of some geenish phosphorescent mineral, and shaped according to an alien design of unclean angles and abnormal geometries. Amidst these gargantuan assemblages, and built into the side of a mountainous block of ancient volcanic rock, there stood a vast, slab-like portal - the sight of which filled with a feeling of inexplicable dread as to what might lie within...

Soon after, my companion - whose dark and unnatural shape I could barely discern as it led me away from that subaqueous zone of lurking horror towards the ocean’s surface - placed around my neck a curious amulet of roughly-hewn jade; it remains around my neck still - drawn by some unknowable means by my dreaming consciousness back into the waking world.

Yet before I awakened from that phantasmagoric realm of oceanic dreams, I enquired of my unseen amphibious companion what the strangely tentacular device carved upon the curious talisman might represent. The nameless thing responded in a gutteral, croaking voice with four words only: ‘That Which Dwells Below’.

No comments:

Post a Comment