Friday, August 05, 2016

Lovecraftian Thing a Day No.218: Cthulhu Sculpture by Maria Strutz


Last night I was gifted this statuette of Great Cthulhu by Maria Strutz, whose wonderful artwork can be found here and here. On receiving it, I was instantly reminded of the artist Wilcox from The Call of Cthulhu who, when questioned about the depiction of hieroglyphs of pre-human provenance on a newly-created bas-relief of dread R'lyeh, replies 'I made it last night in a dream of strange cities; and dreams are older than brooding Tyre, or the contemplative Sphinx, or garden-girdled Babylon.'

I dread to think on what strange abysses and nighted voids Maria has visited in her dreams to produce such an item as this, but in this piece I believe she has captured something of the primal horror and formless, anomalous corporeality of the Great Old Ones.

Thank you again, Maria, for such a kind gift - you can be sure that this will be safetly ensconced within my treasured cabinet of Lovecraftian curiosities.

No comments:

Post a Comment