Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Lovecraftian Thing a Day No.153: Return of the Deep Ones


At the risk of contradicting myself re: yesterday's post, I think that Return of the Deep Ones is my favourite (non-Crow) Lumley tale. Whilst the novella effectively reproduces key elements of 'The Shadow Over Innsmouth' in a UK setting, it nonetheless contains excellent moments of a peculiar kind of weird horror that Lumley seems apt to produce in his best work - especially when he abandons or ignores (as he does here) the Derlethian trappings of his other Mythos tales. This collection also contains a reprint of Beneath the Moors, one of Lumley's earliest works that was first published by Arkham House (I used to own that edition, but sadly sold it many years ago when i think a younger, more foolish me was going through a bit of an anti-Lumley phase).

No comments:

Post a Comment