Saturday, March 19, 2016

Lovecraftian Thing A Day No.79: recent Clark Ashton Smith haul


In previous posts I've noted that my earliest encounters with Cthulhu Mythos fiction were via various Arkham House titles which Neville Spearman reprinted in the UK (more of which in a later entry), and which were also available in the local public library library. Whilst these included volumes by Derleth, Bloch, and Howard, my initial recollection was that there was nothing by Clark Ashton Smith on the shelves. Indeed, I recall that my first encounter with Smith was by way of a paperback edition of The City of the Singing Flame. However, yesterday I picked up these two Neville Spearman editions of Smith from a second-hand bookshop in central London (and for a ridiculously low price) - and the covers seem awfully familiar. I now suspect that they probably were on the shelves of said public library, but for some reason I never bothered to read them. In any case, this has awoken a fervent nostalgia for Spearman editions of the Lovecraft circle, such that I'll probably pick up the remaining Smith volumes in the series. Such is the burden of being a collector...

No comments:

Post a Comment