Monday, January 18, 2016

Lovecraftian Thing A Day: No.18: 'Mercy? You ask for mercy? I'm Chaotic Neutral!'







A good number of people I know who are into Lovecraft discovered him via the medium of roleplaying games - in particular The Call of Cthulhu rpg published by Chaosium (and now in its 7th edition). Chaosium have. indeed, been central in revitalising interest in Lovecraft since they began republishing many difficult-to-find Cthulhu mythos titles in the 1990s.

Whilst I discovered Lovecraft before I discovered rpgs, the intersection between Lovecraft and gaming has been another key interest of mine. At some point I mean to produce a series posts unearthing the eldritch genealogies of contemporary Lovecraftian gaming. But for now, I present my copy of the Deities & Demigods supplement for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, containing stats for and descriptions of various mythos entities. This was not the first gaming publication in which Lovecraft's creations appeared, but it was the first I encountered and the classic Erol Otus illustrations evoke a profound sense of nostalgia. The copy shown here was donated to me by an old school friend who I gamed with in the fantastic worlds of D&D - using this very book - over thirty years ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment